Sunday, September 11, 2011

Front Door Wreath!

This past weekend has been suuuuper busy! A canceled trip to the zoo because my poor little H was sick meant time to do some things around the house. I painted the basement bathroom, went shopping for tile (didn't find much,) snuck some time to shoot off rockets at the park, {Oh yea, you heard that right! SO much fun!} and ran some errands. {That was just Saturday!} Today we did more errands, finished painting the basement bathroom, and cleaned out the garage! *Phew* Just reading that makes me tired all over again!

While on our travels today, we hit up Michaels because I saw a post for an awesome DIY wreath on one of my FAV blogs, Tip Junkie! I fell in love with the idea, and decided I HAD to make one! {To be quite honest though, I was going to put this off for a few weeks, but when I went into Michaels, the wreaths were right out front, and ON SALE!! Yep, for $2.50 each!} As fate would have it, today WAS the day. {Grin!}

Here's the supplies I needed:

  • Fake flowers {Michaels were 50% off making them $7.50 instead of $16.99 buuuut I am WAAAY too frugal for that nonsense! Off to my fav place, the dollar store! Scored these for $1.25 each!} 
  • Wreath {$2.50 You already know about that.}
  • Wire for the flowers {$1.00 also dollar store!}
  • Wreath hanger {was sadly the most expensive item at Michaels ($4.29) because I couldn't find one at the dollar store I was at and since the Hubs hurt his knees, I didn't want to make him trudge off to yet another store.}
  • Wooden numbers {2 @ $1.29 each from Michaels - the dollar store ones were just too big!}
  • Hot glue gun, paint and paintbrush I already had.
  • That makes a total of $15.37 before that silly HST.
First I took the flowers and cut them off the bunch into individual flowers with my wire cutters.

Then I stuck them into the wreath one at a time careful not to pop off the heads of the flowers. {I also removed the "leaves" but you can keep them on if you want to add a little greenery to your wreath.}

The stems stuck out the back but not to worry, we'll get to that!

Once I had everything where I wanted it, I snapped yet another picture. haha. I do that A LOT!

I wasn't in love with the way it looked, so I decided to shift the cream flowers into the middle and see how it looked....
 Muuuuch better! Next I flipped it over to address the stems that were sticking straight up. I bent the stems, took some of the wire for the flowers, and tied them down to the backside of the branches of the wreath. The original post didn't say anything about how she tied them, so I just kind of winged it. It worked!

Oh, and something I should mention... if you're going to make one of these yourself, DON'T do it over a carpet!! Little bits fall off and covered the table, chair and floor. So glad I did it in the kitchen. {Pay no attention to the ice cream on the floor... I gave H & J ice cream BEFORE their dinner tonight! Best mom ever? I think so! Go ahead... be jealous. haha.}

Once the stems were all tied down, it was time to paint the numbers. I used a primer base and then painted the numbers with acrylic paint and a brush. Normally I don't like the look of a paint brush on wood, but since they were small and I didn't have a can of cream spray paint, it did the trick. The paint was a bit too white for me, but the Hubs suggested I mix a touch of yellow into it, which I did and it worked! He's so brilliant!

I hot glued the numbers into place and that was it!The finished product:

I have to say I was worried about using red flowers since I have a red door, but you know, it looks GREAT! I'm so happy with the way it turned out!

Be sure to visit the original post so you can see some of the other wreaths she's done! They are amazing! Also check out tip junkie for wreaths of different materials. I'm going to do one out of fabric for the girl's bedroom doors soon! Stay tuned!

Thanks for reading everyone!


1 comment: